Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Revival
Hello, I am KeybladeSpyMaster, editor at the Kingdom Hearts Wiki. Stemming off of recent discussions on the Kingdom Hearts Wiki, this forum is my attempt to gather everyone involved with the Square Enix Independent Wiki Alliance to...<drums>revive the alliance!</drums>. Following a reading of SEIWA, through old forums (like I tend to do), I've come to several conclusions as to what I think needs to be done. However, I wasn't here when you made SEIWA, I don't know exactly what you guys had planned to do with this before...it stopped. So, as much as I might want to just take over the entire operation with what I believe we should do, I desire that all of you originally involved with SEIWA come back and tell us what you wanted to do. As for what I think we should do, there are a couple things:
  • Update the SEIWA hub: I've made a draft, which to view, you need to download this folder from my OneDrive. So far, I've received a pretty positive response, what do you guys think. [url]http://1drv.ms/ZBS6R5[/url]
  • Update the Alliance: I think we should go back and check in with the various wikis that you guys were looking into to join SEIWA. See if time has changed opinions. I noticed in [url]http://seiwanetwork.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=60[/url] <--that forum that there were a couple that did want to join SEIWA. Maybe we should try and get them to take the actual step.
  • Update the Square Enix Wiki: As an extension of SEIWA, I think the individual wikis that make it up should be directly involved with and encouraging editing on the Square Enix Wiki. Yeah, we're supposed to leave each wiki to its own, but the Square Enix Wiki is an extension of SEIWA in many ways. We need to all pull together and fill in the blanks in the various pages dealing with our series. For example, the Kingdom Hearts Wiki should encourage, when possible, to edit and fill in the various Kingdom Hearts-related articles on the wiki.

Seriously, that's it. Anything else? I especially want to hear, like I said, from those originally involved in SEIWA.
Excellent Work.
  • I am impressed by the SEIWA site idea, as I was actually discussing with the server team that we need to start putting together a site to help get this back off the ground.
  • That is a bit more complicated. We did express interest to the FF Wiki on Wikia, for example, but they were not interested. We did try our own, but I got busy with the Real Life problems, and UxieLover was left to do it all.
  • Same with above, I had to leave it for personal reasons. One of my ideas were to have it match the SEIWA website in color scheme, but that never happened. One of my other ideas, which I was a bit closer too, was designing it to look like a FF Game...and that didn't happen.

With regards to the #2&3, I do want to help get it off the ground, but I don't think anyone needs to wait for me to do anything about it. If you and some other people want to take charge of getting it off the ground, you have my blessing in the efforts.

And now that I have caught you up on a bunch of things, I wish you good luck.
I also like the redesigned hub page you have there. I personally prefer the second one (with the bar on the left). I personally feel like it should feature the members more prominently on the main page though (unless the screenshot is just of the About page, in which case it's fine).

For the second and third one, if anyone wants to come in and work on the wiki or on recruiting members, that's fine by me. As long as one of the primary projects is "implement a skin people will actually want to look at on the wiki" Tongue For the wiki, I myself can only offer technical help (templates, extensions and other server-side stuff) as my knowledge of SE games is zero ("technical help" is sort of the entire reason I'm here anyway).

incidentally I'd also like to make this forum not run on phpBB any more. It's probably my least favourite of the more common forum software out there.
Moydow Wrote:I also like the redesigned hub page you have there. I personally prefer the second one (with the bar on the left). I personally feel like it should feature the members more prominently on the main page though (unless the screenshot is just of the About page, in which case it's fine).

I really like the second one as well, and from talking to others, this seems to be the general consensus. I made a draft of the site (with the little HTML/CSS I know), which should be in that OneDrive folder. As far as the site logos and such, I was aiming for just a general re-organization of the content currently on the site. However, if wanted, I don't see why we can't just add a page with just the site logos. It's only five right now, though, so I don't see why we'd need it to be prominent. What would it take/how long would it be before we could implement this design?

Moydow Wrote:As long as one of the primary projects is "implement a skin people will actually want to look at on the wiki"

I can help with that, if you mean simply updating the CSS file. I've been working on the Square Enix Wiki recently, and I helped out with the Kingdom Hearts Wiki's existing theme. If you mean actually implementing an entirely new skin, I don't know much about those. Though I won't lie, it'd be cool to try out.

I'm working on the Square Enix Wiki recently to update templates and such, as well as add information we're missing. My area of expertise is really just Kingdom Hearts, so past that, I don't think I can help with SE stuff. Though I'll definitely be working in those areas once I've cleaned-up the Square Enix Wiki.

As far as the forums, it'd be cool to have something similar to what the Kingdom Hearts Wiki has, where the forums seem to be right on the wiki. Having spent the last ten months on the Kingdom Hearts Wiki, it's easier to do forums with wikitext over whatever these kinds of forums use. But, however you guys will. I'm no expert as far as forum software (or most software) goes, so have at it as you will.
(10-29-2014, 07:14 PM)Moydow Wrote: incidentally I'd also like to make this forum not run on phpBB any more. It's probably my least favourite of the more common forum software out there.
well what d'ya know, it actually happened

(10-29-2014, 11:14 PM)KeybladeSpyMaster Wrote: I really like the second one as well, and from talking to others, this seems to be the general consensus. I made a draft of the site (with the little HTML/CSS I know), which should be in that OneDrive folder. As far as the site logos and such, I was aiming for just a general re-organization of the content currently on the site. However, if wanted, I don't see why we can't just add a page with just the site logos. It's only five right now, though, so I don't see why we'd need it to be prominent. What would it take/how long would it be before we could implement this design?
My view on that was that, since this is a *wiki alliance*, the wikis should take a more prominent place on the front page.
As for implementing it, I'll grab the files and put them up on the server tomorrow, and see what needs to be done before we launch the redesign officially.

Quote:
Moydow Wrote:As long as one of the primary projects is "implement a skin people will actually want to look at on the wiki"

I can help with that, if you mean simply updating the CSS file. I've been working on the Square Enix Wiki recently, and I helped out with the Kingdom Hearts Wiki's existing theme. If you mean actually implementing an entirely new skin, I don't know much about those. Though I won't lie, it'd be cool to try out.
The primary concern would be producing something more presentable than what we had. I see you've already started on that yourself - it doesn't hurt my eyes to look at any more Tongue so it's heading in the right direction. If you like, you can look through the available skins on the MediaWiki site, and if you find any you like, let us know and someone will put it up on the wiki. I'd advise to wait until we update the wiki to 1.24 though, as that apparently introduces some breaking changes to the skins' functionality, and skins will need to be updated to work with the update.

Quote:As far as the forums, it'd be cool to have something similar to what the Kingdom Hearts Wiki has, where the forums seem to be right on the wiki. Having spent the last ten months on the Kingdom Hearts Wiki, it's easier to do forums with wikitext over whatever these kinds of forums use. But, however you guys will. I'm no expert as far as forum software (or most software) goes, so have at it as you will.
Honestly, I'm personally against having forums contained within a wiki. Dedicated forum software is freely available, and has several more functions than a wiki-based forum (there are some extensions that can turn a wiki into a full-featured forum, but those are mostly unmaintained/in beta). And I personally prefer a "don't put all your eggs in one basket" approach - if a forum is run as part of the wiki software, and a future update to MediaWiki breaks the forum extension's functionality, you have no forum any more until the extension maintainer/s update it (which is not guaranteed to happen). Whereas, if the forum is separate, no update to MediaWiki can break it.
Quote:My view on that was that, since this is a *wiki alliance*, the wikis should take a more prominent place on the front page.

As for implementing it, I'll grab the files and put them up on the server tomorrow, and see what needs to be done before we launch the redesign officially.
Well, I added the logos a while back, so that's there. They should be on the home page. As for implementing, I can't wait to see the final product. I should note that much of the code is from the NIWA page, because like I said before, I don't have much knowledge in the world of HTML/CSS (though I'm trying to get the hang of it). That page served as the base, and then I moved things around with the little HTML and CSS I know.

Quote:
Quote: Wrote:
Moydow Wrote: Wrote:As long as one of the primary projects is "implement a skin people will actually want to look at on the wiki"

The primary concern would be producing something more presentable than what we had. I see you've already started on that yourself - it doesn't hurt my eyes to look at any more [Image: tongue.png] so it's heading in the right direction. If you like, you can look through the available skins on the MediaWiki site, and if you find any you like, let us know and someone will put it up on the wiki. I'd advise to wait until we update the wiki to 1.24 though, as that apparently introduces some breaking changes to the skins' functionality, and skins will need to be updated to work with the update.

I finished the Vector skin theme last night. It's colorscheme is based on what colors come to mind when I think of Square Enix. Apparently, that's dark grays and red. I'm gonna work on the Monobook skin, now, which will be the other colors that come to mind: light grays and red. As for skins, I mentioned this on the server forums, I really like the MetroLook skin. First, because I really like Microsoft's metro design language, it looks sleek and nice. And second, like I said on the server forums, I think it works great for ads. It smoothly allows ads on all four sides of the screen.

As far as other wikis, I think what we could do is introduce them to what has ultimately become of the Kingdom Hearts Wiki and its Wikia counterpart. Despite how the split began, with the apparent intention to let die the Kingdom Hearts Wiki at Wikia, today, The Keyhole serves as a partner and extension to the independent Kingdom Hearts Wiki. So, what I think we could do is convince wikis like the FF Wiki that upon splitting from Wikia, their Wikia counterpart could be watered-down and reorganized to be what Wikia wants: a community-oriented wiki, while the encyclopedic counterpart would be hosted in its best light, the way the community wants to display it, without restrictions or a set format from a higher, out-of-the-community's-control entity. Then, the worry that they'd be competing with Wikia would be gone, because the Wikia wiki is a part of the independent wiki, and redirects to the independent wiki. While both wikis can act independently of each other (which is part of the point), both are still connected closely. I think this would work even better than it currently does with the Kingdom Hearts Wiki and The Keyhole if this is the intention from the start, and it would ease worry of competition and what not. What do you guys think?
(11-14-2014, 07:13 PM)KeybladeSpyMaster Wrote: My view on that was that, since this is a *wiki alliance*, the wikis should take a more prominent place on the front page.

Well, I added the logos a while back, so that's there. They should be on the home page. As for implementing, I can't wait to see the final product. I should note that much of the code is from the NIWA page, because like I said before, I don't have much knowledge in the world of HTML/CSS (though I'm trying to get the hang of it). That page served as the base, and then I moved things around with the little HTML and CSS I know.
We have people who can help with CSS and HTML.

Quote:As far as other wikis, I think what we could do is introduce them to what has ultimately become of the Kingdom Hearts Wiki and its Wikia counterpart. Despite how the split began, with the apparent intention to let die the Kingdom Hearts Wiki at Wikia, today, The Keyhole serves as a partner and extension to the independent Kingdom Hearts Wiki. So, what I think we could do is convince wikis like the FF Wiki that upon splitting from Wikia, their Wikia counterpart could be watered-down and reorganized to be what Wikia wants: a community-oriented wiki, while the encyclopedic counterpart would be hosted in its best light, the way the community wants to display it, without restrictions or a set format from a higher, out-of-the-community's-control entity. Then, the worry that they'd be competing with Wikia would be gone, because the Wikia wiki is a part of the independent wiki, and redirects to the independent wiki. While both wikis can act independently of each other (which is part of the point), both are still connected closely. I think this would work even better than it currently does with the Kingdom Hearts Wiki and The Keyhole if this is the intention from the start, and it would ease worry of competition and what not. What do you guys think?
FF Wiki has no intentions to move as long as they can deal with Wikia's "most excellent upgrades" without breaking the TOS to do so. Removing Monobook is an example of an event that could be the last straw, but so far, things like Visual Editor (disabled) and Message Wall (was planned to be mandatory, but negative feedback made it optional, it is disabled) haven't caused unsurpassable issues. Keep in mind the problems that followed KHWiki's move is hardly a motivator to move. We would rather keep a stable relationship with other wikis and won't be supporting action that is known to annoy their communities.
Wow, I never came back to this....sorry.

Anyways, first, the hub pages. I'm excited to see it all come together. I didn't mention this, but what should be on the "Contact" page? I left it mostly incomplete because I didn't know if we wanted to use an email form like NIWA, or simply list the SEIWA email and whatever additional contact links we might want to include (to contact the member wikis or whatever).

As for the other wikis, I used the Final Fantasy Wiki as an example. I realize they probably have no intention to leave at this time, it was just an example. However, I still think we should expand the alliance's coverage in some way. Whether it's recruiting whatever existing and willing wikis, or starting them ourselves. I feel the latter is more challenging, but it may be our only option if we expect to truly live up to our name. For the former, I don't think we should totally give up either. I don't know, what should we do? I don't think we can truly bring a revival with only five wikis, with only two of them in constant activity.
Hey guys, sorry I've been missing in action.  I love the redesigns mentioned above, they look pretty cool.  

I'm mostly just keeping things running on the Dragon Quest wiki at this point.  My interest has been fairly low since SE has made some pretty idiotic moves lately with that series.  Anyway, wanted to chime in to say I was still alive even though I have not logged in over here for a long time.  Smile