Images are used to provide a visual representation of the subject of the article, and help explain the subject of the article. Images are also much more aesthetically pleasing then just plain text. This guide will teach you the basics of Images, how to add them, etc.
Adding Images to the Wiki
Want to know how to upload images to Square Enix Wiki? Follow these steps.
- Click the "Upload file" link under in the sidebar to the left (at the bottom in the toolbox section). This links to Special:Upload.
- From this screen, click on "Browse..." to search your computer's files until you find the image you want to upload. Select it. (Note that only certain types of files are accepted.)
- Name the file appropriately. Add a quick summary if necessary, and add a correct image sourcing template to the summary, then click "Upload file" to upload.
Sometimes you may run into an "upload warning" that tells you that your file should be no larger than 150 kilobytes (KB). If this occurs, unless the file just really doesn't need to be that big, you can go ahead and click "Save file" anyway.
If you upload a new version of an existing image, sometimes the image won't update immediately and the previous version of the image will be displayed instead. In such case, please be patient and wait for the database to catch up and update the image. This can take anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes.
Step Two: Adding Images to a Page
Finally, the reason that you uploaded the image. Open the page that you want to add the image to and begin editing it. Find out where on the page you want to add the image, and in that location type the following:
Replace "filename.png" with whatever your image's filename is, and there you have it! But... that doesn't look too good on its own, now does it?
Optional Image Syntax
There are several things you can add to an image's coding to manipulate it. Here is an example of an image using several of these:
[[File:filename.png|right|thumb|200px|This is an image example.]]
- File:filename.png is our image name, which you would replace with whatever your image name is.
- right moves the image to the right side of the page. "left" could also be used.
- thumb adds the box around the image you see quite often. Note that this could be replaced with frameless to achieve the same auto-resize effect without the frame being displayed.
- 200px resizes the image to 200 pixels - you may choose whatever number you deem necessary (within reason) for your placement of the image.
- This is an image example is an example of words that might be displayed below an image, but this only works if "thumb" is added; otherwise, the text is displayed as alt-text when one lays their mouse on the image.
Any or all of these can be used, and they need not be in this order exactly.
Types of Images
There are several image types accepted at Square Enix Wiki, these are .png, .jpg/.jpeg, .gif, and .svg (buggy). Below are explanations for the main types of images, and how they should be presented on the wiki.
PNG, which stands for Portable Network Graphics, is an image format, and probably the most important to the wiki. This is because PNG files maintain very good quality, and transparency. As of yet the PNG cannot be animated universally, making its predecessor the GIF, not quite obsolete.
JPEG, also known as JPG or Joint Photographic Experts Group, is an image format that most websites, including Square Enix Wiki, uses to display large photographic images. This is because JPEGS can display large images without taking up too much file space, however they do not support transparency nor do they preserve the quality that a PNG can, and is therefore less recommended than PNG files.
GIF (Graphics Interchange Format) is an image format that supports only a 256 color palette, however is the only type that can be universally animated, thus making it still an important image type. On Square Enix Wiki, they are only used for animated images and sprites (since they use a small color palette).
|This template is using the SEIWA color scheme|